Re: SMuFL

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: SMuFL
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2013 14:31:46 +0200

Am 10.08.2013 10:30, schrieb David Kastrup:
Andrew Bernard <address@hidden> writes:

This is of great interest to me because several of the people I do
scores for (contemporary composers) do not favour the very heavy black
Germanic look of the standard lilypond font, attractive though it may
be. It would be nice to have a wider choice to offer in the future,
and if SMuFL takes off as a standard, there may well be many fonts to
choose from.
Do you really think that proprietary music system vendors will release
their fonts in a usable form under free licenses so that people can
forego buying their software and use LilyPond instead?

"Steinberg is making Bravura available under the SIL Open Font License."
That's a start.

Adobe won't release their fonts under an open license, nevertheless we're happy to have standards that allow us to freely select from free and non-free fonts.