Re: MIDI keyboard

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: MIDI keyboard
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 16:19:36 +0100

On Tue, 13 Aug 2013 12:17:17 +0200
Johan Vromans <address@hidden> wrote:

> Federico Bruni <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Denemo already supports this two pass input, you can find a
> > screencast on Vimeo.
>
> Yes, I did look at Denemo. With Denemo you have to enter the durations
> using pre-defined

you can choose any key press you want for this

> keypad keys. In other words, you need to know
> beforehand whether the next note is 4, or 8, or 2. and so on.
>
> I would like to enter that part of the information using  rhythmic

here is your problem. You are hoping that the timing of your keypress
could be interpreted and a duration of note estimated from it. Such
systems have been tried many times, and are offered by programs that
don't care if you succeed or not, as long as you buy the program. They
don't work because of the subtleties of timing, rests and notation
(consider, 1/4 note tied to 1/8 note is the same duration as dotted 1/4
note).
Well, I would like to be proved wrong; the moment you hear of a way of
doing it I promise I will implement it in Denemo: everything is there
just waiting for someone to invent the algorithm.

Be aware that in terms of speed of entry, it would not help: with the
numeric keypad method you can incorporate the slurs as you enter the
rhythm, and (with the latest version of Denemo) you can enter triplets
while not breaking your rhythm. What it would save is getting used to
switching key press of each type of duration, which is definitely a
knack.

Richard