Re: MIDI keyboard

From: Johan Vromans
Subject: Re: MIDI keyboard
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 21:11:59 +0200

Richard Shann <address@hidden> writes:

> If you can read music fluently and have a lot of music to enter
> sequentially into LilyPond then Denemo gives you a way of leveraging
> your sight-reading skill to enter the music by allowing you to enter it
> "in music time" - that is you can keep track of where you are in the
> music entry process because you are reading and playing the music as
> music, not as a set of letters with numbers, dots, apostrophes etc.

Allow me to make another suggestion.

Almost 30 years ago I used a music program on Macintosh. I forgot the
name but I think I may still be able to find the 400KB floppy somewhere
in my attic :).

This program had a way to enter music quite fast. It went like this:

Set a default note duration, e.g. quarter.

Then, with the mouse, click on the score. A quarter note appears on the
spot. This is how all programs work. BUT: without lifting the button, a
small drag to the left made the duration shorter: 4 - 8.. - 8. - 8 -
16.. - 16. - 16 etc.

Likewise, a small drag to the right made the duration longer: 4. - 4..
- 2 etc.

Important is that such a drag changes the duration of this note only.
The next note entered will be a quarter again.

You could also drag up and down. A small drag up adds a sharp (or a
natural if it was a flat, and a further drag adds the sharp). Likewise,
a small drag down adds a flat etc. Basically you could drag the note to
any pitch.

It was possible to enter music at a speed I never managed to accomplish
with any of the modern GUI based tools.

Maybe this is something to add to denemo?

-- Johan