Re: Text in front of Staves

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Text in front of Staves
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2013 20:39:15 +0200

2013/8/15 Nick Payne <address@hidden>:
> On 14/08/13 23:46, Kale Good wrote:
>>
>> Hi Thomas,
>> Thanks; it works like a charm* until I need a page break; right now its
>> just crowding everything on one page. I put it a \pageBreak and nothing
>> happened, so I'm guessing that lilypond won't break simultaneous music
>> over a page (makes sense). Any overrides for this?

Well, the problem is "How to align the exercises vertically?" at least
their repeat signs.

You can do as I proposed:
<<
  \new Staff { ... }
  \new Staff { ... }
  \new Staff { ... }
  \new Staff { ... }

With the disadvantage that you have to manually insert a pageBreak by
intercepting
<< ... >>
and start a new section with
<< ... >>
on the next page.

Alternatively you may try Nick's method below.

I dond't know else.

>> *works like a charm except for your \override VerticalAxisGroup command,
>> which I'm not super familiar with (looks right to me). Won't compile
>> with it, will compile without it.

I don't understand why it doesn't work for you.
Did you really copy and paste my or Nick's code and compiled it
without any change?

>> wasn't planning on bringing back 19th century guitar fingering notation,
>> but now that you mention it... =)
>>

> When I set the Giuliani 120 exercises a couple of years ago, I did it by
> using Lilypond render frames in Scribus, with each exercise as a separate ly
> score.
>
> See attached, which is a Scribus file showing the first two exercises set in
> render frames (the Lilypond code is inside the render frames, right-click on
> the render frame and select Edit Source to see it), and the resulting PDF
> output.
>
> You need Scribus 1.5 to open the sla file. Version 1.4 can't recognise it.

Cheers,
  Harm