Re: SMuFL

From: ul
Subject: Re: SMuFL
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2013 21:53:55 +0200

Zitat von Janek Warchoł <address@hidden>:

Hi folks,

2013/8/9 Urs Liska <address@hidden>:
Hi all,

although I suspect this could once more become a longish and scattered
thread, I feel forced to bring it up here.

What do you think: would it make sense to open up LilyPond thinking to the
idea of SMuFL brought up by Steinberg and Daniel Spreadbury?
http://www.smufl.org

Of course currently it's only their new Bravura font that complies to that
proposed standard.
But I can imagine there will be more 'participators' in mid-term future.

Any thoughts?

I've missed the main discussion but i have a (hopefully) valuable comment.

We don't know if it would be worth it to make LilyPond support SMuFL.
But i think the question is: what should we do to make it easier to us
to adopt SMuFL if we decide to to do in the future?
In other words, how can we influence SMuFL design so that it would fit
LilyPond better (without doing anything ourselves).  For example, it
would probably be a good idea to ensure that SMuFL has places for all
glyphs we have.

I think that's the least we should try to achieve. Otherwise we'd risk getting left behind if SMuFL turns out to become an accepted standard. And although we don't know that yet, I think chances are not too bad that this may happen.

Daniel Spreadbury wrote to me:
"It would definitely be useful to have a list of gaps between SMuFL and the Emmentaler font. I have looked at the Emmentaler documentation a little bit, but I haven't necessarily understood everything that's in there. There are some early music-specific ranges, for example, that I would need to be able to consult with a subject area expert before I could consider encoding them in SMuFL."

One additional suggestion would be to move Emmentaler's glyphs to the Unicode codepoints suggested by SMuFL. IIUC this wouldn't need any internal change in the layout engine at first. And in the process of remapping any gaps would become apparent 'automatically'. I think there even is someone here who would be willing to look into it - if he gets any positive feedback from the community.

Urs

best,
Janek