Re: maintaining advanced power-user Scheme functions

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: maintaining advanced power-user Scheme functions
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 16:36:04 +0200

2013/8/19 Janek Warchoł <address@hidden>:
> 2013/8/19 David Kastrup <address@hidden>:
>> Urs Liska <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> Version control _can_ be useful for a collection like the LSR. Think
>>> of providing snippets for more than one LilyPond version. If I'm using
>>> 2.16 I will download a different snippet than for 2.17.24 ...
>>
>> But that's not what version control is for.  Version control does not
>> fundamentally work with a series of codependent equally active HEADs,
>> but rather has one principal HEAD of development, and historic
>> references (quite likely containing _inferior_ code, and inferior for
>> reasons that are often only marginally related to the LilyPond version).
>
> That's true.
> However, i think that it ultimately /makes sense/ with LSR.  Look at
> it this way:
> 1) let's say Lilypond 2.18 is released and all snippets are upgraded
> to work with it.  This is the master branch (what's visible by default
> via the web interface), and it gets a tag "state as of 2.18 release".
> 2) LilyPond is continues to be developed in 2.19 series.  People
> occasionally write new snippets that require 2.19 (or update existing
> ones from 2.18 to 2.19) - commits doing this do to a separate
> "develop" branch, and are not visible by default via the web
> interface, but advanced users can easily access them.  This is the
> "improvement" part, as one upgrades a snippet to 2.19 precisely
> because it will work better.
> 3) at the same time, new snippets that work with the 2.18 release are
> added (and some snippets are improved), and this goes to the master
> branch.
> 4) when lilypond 2.20 is released, master and develop branches are merged.
> 5) the circle starts again.

There's one thing to realize: we wouldn't need to have a branch for
every Lilypond version there.  We would just need two branches:
current stable and stuff that is ahead of current stable.  Very much
like how various projects are developed.
And still, if someone needed to access a version of the snippet meant
for a parrticular verison of lilypond, it would be easy to do this
thanks to git.

Janek