Re: generic GNU Linux package download problems

From: Colin Campbell
Subject: Re: generic GNU Linux package download problems
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2013 19:10:55 -0600

On 13-08-24 06:36 PM, Tom Cloyd wrote:
Greetings -

I'm trying to download the current stable package, at http://lilypond.org/unix.html.

The link go to a script, not a download package. It opens in my browser and does nothing.

I'm not seen this novel behavior before, and don't know what to do at this point.

My objective is to upgrade from Ly 2.16.0.1 to 2.16.2-1, Kubuntu Linux 13.04.

Thanks for any assistance on this.

t.

There are a couple of steps needed, Tom.

First, you will need to uninstall the 2.16.0 package. You probably have a /bin folder in your home folder, and it should have a script called uninstall-lily or something similar.
Next, you go to your Download folder, or the place you stored the downloaded script. Right-click the script, go to Properties, and make it executable.
Now, you can run the script to carry out the installation in your home folder.
The other thing you should do, assuming you use a tool such as Frescobaldi, is to update its settings so that it looks to the proper place for documentation. You may want to download the doc tarball ( http://lilypond.org/download/binaries/documentation/lilypond-2.16.2-1.documentation.tar.bz2 ) and store it locally, or you could point your Frescobaldi or other editor to the LilyPond website.

The above is from memory, as I generally compile from source, so YMMV but probably not much.

Hope that helps, Tom!

Cheers,
Colin
--
I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands. You need to be able to throw something back.
-Maya Angelou, poet (1928- )