Re: chopin example

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: chopin example
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2013 22:14:22 +0200

Am 27.08.2013 19:42, schrieb Martin Tarenskeen:

On Tue, 27 Aug 2013, Urs Liska wrote:

My Chopin score can be found here:

    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zqnsijhiwp2ebgr/op8gtlOx9N

(Let me know if the link doesn't work)

So you don't want to know _that_ the link works? ;-)

Nice score. Interesting use of polymetric notation. And interesting that he chose not to keep it for publication. Too advanced? Are there any biographical notions that Chopin used that Nocturne (page 2) as a resource bin for the f minor piano concerto?

And one more question: You mentioned a Henle edition somewhere. Where did you copy the music from, Henle or the autograph?

Are you worried about copyrights?
No, I'm just interested in editions from manuscript.
Yes, I have the Henle edition.
Is this an edition of that specific version? Or a facsimile?
Chopin's autograph is in a museum somewhere in Mallorca.
Sometimes there are reproductions available?
Or: I have a bunch of digital photos of Schubert manuscripts that I was allowed to take in the Vienna City library (where one then even had the opportunity to put them on the piano and play from them!)
It's not my intention to make an exact copy of the Henle Edition. LilyPond's automatic formatting mechanisms make different choices than the Henle engravers. And I think I will change some details, without affecting Chopin's original intentions. For example: I think Chopin's usage of rests vs. spaces in the two voices of the left hand (last systems of page 2) is very inconsistent. That could be improved I guess.
I can't judge that specific case, but one often sees that composers can take the liberty to make 'intuitive' deviation from notation rules, especially when the manuscript isn't intended for the public. Usually they reconsider that when it comes to publication. And usually the result is more clear and 'correct' but somtimes less interesting than the initial version ...

Best
Urs