Re: Getting xpdf point-and-click to go back to existing emacs window

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Getting xpdf point-and-click to go back to existing emacs window
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2013 11:44:32 +0200

Nick Payne <address@hidden> writes:

> On 30/08/13 18:54, David Kastrup wrote:
>> Nick Payne<address@hidden>  writes:
>>
>>> I've been setting up emacs and xpdf for use with lilypond 17.25 on
>>> Ubuntu 13.04, using emacs 24.3, and the Debian install files for xpdf
>>> 3.03 and libpoppler19. Most things seem to be working - I have syntax
>>> highlighting, I can run Lilypond with C-c C-l, and C-c C-s opens the
>>> PDF output in xpdf. But when I click on a hyperlink in the PDF output,
>>> what happens is that a new  emacs window opens with another copy of
>>> the ly source file and the cursor is positioned there. If I click on
>>> another hyperlink, yet another emacs window with yet another copy of
>>> the source opens...and so on.
>>>
>>> What do I need to configure to get the hyperlink to go to the ly
>>> source file that I already have open in emacs? I followed the
>>> instructions at
>>> http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.17/Documentation/usage/configuring-the-system-for-point-and-click
>>> to do the configuration for emacs and xpdf.
>> Put
>>
>> (server-start)
>>
>> in your personal .emacs file.
>
> Thanks. That fixes it. Should this not be documented somewhere? I
> didn't find anything in the documentation, and a Google search for
>
> "server-start" site:.lilypond.org
>
> doesn't return any hits.

Well, it is documented somewhere:
<URL:http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Emacs-Server.html>.
Arguably, it may be somewhat optimistic for the LilyPond documentation
to assume that prospective Emacs users would already have catered to
having a working emacs-server setup.

--
David Kastrup