Reverting to atonal or open key

From: Micah Walter
Subject: Reverting to atonal or open key
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2013 16:42:37 -0400

In Lilypond, there is a distinction between specifying \key c \major and leaving the key blank. In the former case, transposing instruments will change the key signature accordingly, while in the latter case, no key signature will be added. Using \transpose c d, for instance, will add two sharps if \key c \major is listed, but not when no key is listed.

What happens when I go from an ‘open key’ section to a tonal section, and back to ‘open key’? I've tried\revert \key, but this seems to be bad syntax. Is there a way to revert to a key-free area?

Minimal example, which should have a key signature of one flat in the second section but no sharps or flats elsewhere:

\transpose c d {
  % Open key
  c8 e f g e d des c

  \key c \minor