Re: Tie placement in voiceTwo

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Tie placement in voiceTwo
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2013 11:11:40 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "Peter Bjuhr" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Sunday, September 01, 2013 11:00 AM

As David points out the original example is uncommon both regarding ties
and slurs. I like to add another example which represent a more common
use of ties.

As you can see from the ly-file I first use a tie, then a slur, then a
double dot.

I think that you could get away with the second as a tie, mostly because
it uncommon to slur notes of the same pitch. But I don't think it is
preferred practise to use it this way. The double dot could be used, but
in contemporary notation I think a tie is preferred.

Peter Bjuhr

From Elaine Gould: "The tie extends from notehead to notehead: if one or
both ends of it point to a stem, [it] becomes a slur".

--
Phil Holmes