multiple transpose - was :Emacs integration

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: multiple transpose - was :Emacs integration
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2013 13:29:19 +0200

Hi,

opening a new thread. It was quite offtopic in "Emacs integration"
http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/Emacs-integration-td150015.html

2013/8/31 Thomas Morley <address@hidden>:
> 2013/8/31 David Kastrup <address@hidden>:
>> Thomas Morley <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> \version "2.17.25"
>>>
>>> scalesAndTriads =
>>> #(define-music-function (parser location m music)(ly:music? ly:music?)
>>>   (let* ((elts (ly:music-property m 'elements))
>>>          (pitches (map (lambda (x) (ly:music-property x 'pitch)) elts))
>>>          (pitch-octaves (map (lambda (x) (ly:pitch-octave x)) pitches))
>>
>>            (pitch-octaves (map ly:pitch-octave pitches))
>>
>>>          (pitch-notename (map (lambda (x) (ly:pitch-notename x)) pitches))
>>
>>            (pitch-notename (map ly:pitch-notename pitches))
>>
>>>          (pitch-alteration (map (lambda (x) (ly:pitch-alteration x))
>>> pitches)))
>>
>>            guess...

lol

>>>   #{
>>>     $(make-simultaneous-music
>>>         (map
>>>            (lambda (octave note alter)
>>>               #{
>>>                  \new Staff
>>>                    \transpose c $(ly:make-pitch octave note alter)
>>>                    \relative $music
>>>               #})
>>>            pitch-octaves pitch-notename pitch-alteration))
>>>   #}))
>>
>> What's the point of picking the pitches apart into octave/note/alter and
>> then assembling them into a pitch again without change?  Why not map
>> over the pitches directly in the first place?

Silly me.

>>> }
>>>
>>> \scalesAndTriads { c f bes ees aes des ges g d a e b fis } \scale
>>>

>>> Franky, it took me more than two minutes, although I recycled some old
>>> code for tranposing sequential music, but less than 30 min.
>>>
>>> _And_ I now have two functions to reuse again and again: One for
>>> sequential and another for simultaneous music.
>>
>> Why use two?  Just do (music-clone m 'origin location 'elements (map ...

I didn't know 'music-clone'.

A quick search in the archives resulted in _one_ other result.
http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/Defining-pitches-in-variables-td142862.html#a142864
:)

Although I didn't use it in the code below, I'm quite happy, that I
learn something new eyery time you have a look on my functions!

>> And then you use either
>> \scalesAndTriads { c f bes ees aes des ges g d a e b fis }
>> or
>> \scalesAndTriads << c f bes ees aes des ges g d a e b fis >>
>>
>> I'd not use \relative $music here: that looks like asking for trouble.

Not sure what you suspect.
May I ask for some details?

>> If people want \relative music, they should spell it out.
>>
>> --
>> David Kastrup

> Hi David,
>
> thanks for the hints. Will see how I manage to integrate them.
>
> -Harm

I now come up with:

\version "2.17.25"

multipleTranspose =
#(define-music-function (parser location m music)(ly:music? ly:music?)
  (let* ((elts (ly:music-property m 'elements))
         (pitches (map (lambda (x) (ly:music-property x 'pitch)) elts))
         (transposed-music-list
           (map (lambda (pitch) #{ \transpose c $pitch $music #}) pitches)))

  #{
          $(cond ((music-is-of-type? m 'sequential-music)
                  (make-sequential-music transposed-music-list))
                 ((music-is-of-type? m 'simultaneous-music)
                  (make-simultaneous-music
                    (map
                      (lambda (el) #{ \new Staff $el #})
                      transposed-music-list)))
                 ;; Not sure whether there's need for,
                 ;; though, better be a paranoiac.
                 (else
                   (ly:error
                     "m should be sequential or simultaneous-music. Typo?")))
  #}))

%% Examples

\new Staff
\multipleTranspose { c cis } \relative c'' { g a }

\new StaffGroup
\multipleTranspose << c cis >> \relative c'' { g a }

Thanks,
  Harm