Re: Tie placement in voiceTwo

From: Carl Peterson
Subject: Re: Tie placement in voiceTwo
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2013 13:15:45 -0400

On Sep 1, 2013 6:01 AM, "Peter Bjuhr" <address@hidden> wrote:

> As David points out the original example is uncommon both regarding ties and slurs. I like to add another example which represent a more common use of ties.
>
> As you can see from the ly-file I first use a tie, then a slur, then a double dot.
>
> I think that you could get away with the second as a tie, mostly because it uncommon to slur notes of the same pitch. But I don't think it is preferred practise to use it this way. The double dot could be used, but in contemporary notation I think a tie is preferred.

The case in my experience where I could see such a notation being practiced is in vocal music where there are multiple verses and some verses have more syllables than others. Thus, the notes would be present as required for all the syllables that are sung at one point or another, but then ties and slurs are inserted to accommodate the verses with fewer syllables. It is not so much an issue in my own work since I do not autobeam, but I could probably find in my collection of hymnals a few examples of this being done.

Carl