Re: Tie placement in voiceTwo

From: Rutger Hofman
Subject: Re: Tie placement in voiceTwo
Date: Sun, 01 Sep 2013 19:44:42 +0200

On 09/01/2013 04:16 PM, David Kastrup wrote:
Rutger Hofman <address@hidden> writes:

(sorry for not including the conversation, but this from my Android phone.)
OK, a slur it must be.

But, although the notation a8( a8) may be uncommon nowadays, it is
quite common in baroque music. Most recently, I met it in BWV 146 mvt
2, all over the place. It also occurs elsewhere with 3 or 4 notes. My
baroque violin player friend says: "oh yes, that is bow vibrato." Not
vibrato in the modern sense, but 2 (3, 4) notes under one bowing.

In modern notation, you'd do this as

That the baroque manuscripts are less explicit is not much of a
surprise.  They tend to be less cluttered, being intended for mature
readership rather than "music for dummies and sightreaders".

It's not only manuscript. The BWV146 is from the printed Bach Gesamtausgabe (BGA) from 1884. Moreover, this is still common practice today in printed baroque music -- but I but don't know if it is limited to Urtext.

Rutger