Re: frescobaldi on mac

From: Davide Liessi
Subject: Re: frescobaldi on mac
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2013 12:58:43 +0200

2013/9/2 flup2 <address@hidden>:
> First of all, thanks for your work, Davide :-)

I'm glad that my work is helpful.

> I installed the portfile and it works without problem.

This is nice to hear!
Just for information, what version of Mac OS are you running?

> For those who already installed Frescobaldi and want to update next versions
> this way, macports detects that python-poppler-qt4 is already installed. We
> need thus to force the installation by macports:
>
> port -f activate py27-python-poppler-qt4
>
> On my setup, the same occurred with frescobaldi itself.

This happens because with your instructions python-poppler-qt4 is
installed inside MacPorts' directory tree.
But MacPorts knows only about files you write inside its tree through
the port command, and it shouldn't overwrite unknown files unless
forced (because they could be user settings, like in etc, or
user-installed packages, like in this case).

> Note: I doesn't break the former setup. I have now a macports installed
> stable version, and the github synced "hand-made" installation. Both are
> running well (for me, the github synced version is easier to work on the
> French translation).

As long as one does not install frescobaldi with 'python setup.py
install', but runs it without installing it, there shouldn't be any
conflicts.

Another solution, which I adopted in my setup prior to writing the
Portfiles, is to install with the --prefix option in a custom
directory tree (other than the MacPorts one).
This requires to set the PYTHONPATH environment variable to a suitable
path (Python itself should tell the exact path in the error message
when installing with PYTHONPATH not correctly set).
Also this kind of setup should not conflict with MacPorts.

I am currently fine tuning a new version of the Portfile that
automatically creates also the application bundle.
I just need to test it on 10.7 and 10.8 machines (I run 10.6 and have
occasional access to those machines) and then I'll publish it into the
master branch of my repository.
I'll announce to the list when this will happen (in a couple of days, I hope).

Best wishes.
Davide