Re: cross-staff phrasing (slur)

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: cross-staff phrasing (slur)
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2013 16:54:15 +0200

Am 04.09.2013 16:17, schrieb MING TSANG:
Hi, Urs:

Thank you for the info pertain to phrasing slurs.  I don't know how to code \change Staff in context staff (I have not use context Staff before) in my score which has 122 bars and there are 6 bars that has cross staff phrasing. I use \new Staff on my score.

You don't need to do that at that level.
If you write music that is printed in the "right" staff you can write (at any time):
\change Staff = "left"
and then the current voice will continue in the other staff.
For your examples (of the first post) you would not write [half bar rest + half bar music] in one and [half bar music + half bar rest] in the other staff but write the whole phrase in one voice and let it cross the staff as I have described.
This way you can write the slur without problems.

I also have difficulty to adapt the snippet

Setting the control points of a slur manually [0.07280]

You don't need this snippet anymore. By now there is the function \shape in LilyPond that lets you define _offsets_ from LilyPond's decision.
So you don't have to find the absolute offsets but can work from LilyPond's default engraving.

Use
\shape list-of-offsets grob, that is for example

\shape #'((0 . 1)(0 . 0)(0 . 0)(0 . 0)) PhrasingSlur
for tweaking a phrasing slur to have its starting point '1' higher than default.

HTH
Urs

I have completed the 122-bar score without the phrasing slurs on bars 31,35, 115, 118, 119 & 121. Please refer to the attached .ly and .pdf

  3. Re:cross-staff phrasing (slur) (Urs Liska)

Message: 3