Trouble with extent of Hairpins

From: Peter Gentry
Subject: Trouble with extent of Hairpins
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2013 16:48:28 +0100

Hairpins seem to interact with bar lines in a way I do not understand.
When the required hairpin is between two notes on either side of a bar line it
ends before the bar line even though the \! is placed
after the second note (A). If the \! is placed after a second note following
the bar line the the hairpin extends too far (B).

I have used \tweak to even up the hairpin lengths which works inside a bar. (I
have a lot of trouble with hairpins!)

How does one create a hairpin that crosses the barline but ends at the first
note in the bar?

\version "2.16.2"

\relative c''' {
 \clef "treble"
 \time 3/4
 e2\> e4~  -\tweak #'minimum-length #6 \<
 e2-\tweak #'minimum-length #4 \> e4~-\tweak #'minimum-length #6  \>
 e4\! d4-. e4-.  % (A)this hairpin stops short of the bar line
 f2\> f4 ~\>
 f4  e4-.\! fis4-. % (B) this hairpin extends too far
 g4-. r4
}

Thanks for any advice

Peter Gentry