Re: Double slurs on automatic part combining

From: Carl Peterson
Subject: Re: Double slurs on automatic part combining
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2013 21:56:18 -0400

On Thu, Sep 5, 2013 at 9:44 PM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
Carl Peterson <address@hidden> writes:

> I am using the automatic part combiner in preparing SATB hymn sheets. The
> issue I have is that when the notes are chorded by the apc, if there is a
> slur (in both parts), only one slur is printed (as is seen in the
> documentation for automatic part combining).

Why would you use the part combiner?  I know SATB as basically

\new ChoirStaff
<< \new Staff { \clef "treble" << { \soprano } \\ { \alto } >> }
   \new Staff { \clef "bass" << { \tenor } \\ { \bass } >> }

That depends. Virtually without exception, every hymnal I have used in church or have in my library uses joined stems except when there are different melodies or the notes are separated by less than a diatonic third (this has required some rewriting of the part combiner scheme file to accommodate these style rules).

namely _without_ joining stems.  At any rate, if you want soprano/alto
to retain upwards/downwards slurs, just write ^( and _( explicitly
(\slurUp/\slurDown is not strong enough).

I will take a look at the modifiers. I'm so used to using \slurUp and \slurDown I forgot ^ and _ can be used for that. The goal of the template system I'm working on is to require practically no tweaks/overrides/etc. that do not impact the actual musical performance, to potentially allow non-Lilypond people to help with only a rudimentary knowledge of notation syntax.

Thanks,
Carl