Re: Double slurs on automatic part combining

From: David Rogers
Subject: Re: Double slurs on automatic part combining
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2013 09:59:42 -0700

Carl Peterson <address@hidden> writes:

> On Fri, Sep 6, 2013 at 4:53 AM, Phil Holmes <address@hidden>
> wrote:
>

>     I have to my right hand "Hymns and Modern, New Standard" and
>     behind me "Songs of Praise, New Standard". Both of these use
>     separate voices for Sop and Alto; Tenor and Bass. I strongly
>     believe this is the best way of setting 4 part voice - merging the
>     notes into chords is just wrong, IMHO - it can confuse which voice
>     is singing which part. What happens when the voices cross? FWIW
>     Elaine Gould agrees with me: "Ideally each voice takes separate
>     stems". This rule is only broken in her view where space is
>     limited.
>
> Ultimately, for what I'm doing, "right" or "wrong" is irrelevant. Much
> like those who are creating custom style sheets to match Henle or
> Breitkopf or even (cringe) Finale or Sibelius, it doesn't really
> matter what my sensibilities are or to large degree the way *I* think
> it ought to be...this is the way it is, and I decide how closely I
> want to match to it. The fact is that for my target audience, combined
> stems are the norm, which the noted exceptions of rhythmic
> differences, small intervals, or crossed voices (see below).

I'm in the same situation if I need to transcribe any hymns (which I
usually don't need but whatever) - "customary" trumps "correct".

Caution: wild assumptions in the following paragraph. :)

In practical terms, Carl's and my hymn books may in fact be considered
correct, because in many churches and/or church-music traditions, the
congregation is expected to sing in unison most of the time, the choir
in SATB if there is a choir, and there will (almost invariably) be an
organist/keyboard player. It may be that the notation chosen is a
compromise to minimize inconvenience for everyone, according to how much
they use the notation and how closely they read it - i.e. "all those
notes" are primarily for the keyboard, and a choir will have little
trouble reading four-part keyboard music. This might not be the case in
traditions where the custom is for everyone to sing SATB without
instruments.

--
David R