Re: defining custom contexts: child context doesn't work properly

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: defining custom contexts: child context doesn't work properly
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2013 23:45:50 +0200

2013/9/6 David Kastrup <address@hidden>:
> Janek Warchoł <address@hidden> writes:
>> Here are the definitions that i have so far:
>> http://github.com/openlilylib/snippets/blob/master/templates/predefined-instruments/instrument-context-definitions.ily
>>
>> Here is my testing file:
>> http://github.com/openlilylib/snippets/blob/master/templates/predefined-instruments/overriding-example.ly
>>
>> Note that i can override the color of noteheads in AltoStaff by using
>> appropriate command in the \layout block, but if i try to do this for
>> SopranoVoice, nothing hapens.  Apparently soprano notes aren't placed
>> in a SopranoVoice, just in an ordinary Voice.
>
> If there was any need for a Bottom context, it would be a SopranoVoice.
>
> However, \addlyrics says "hey, I need a Voice" right after SopranoStaff
> has been created, and gets the demanded Voice.  And then a Bottom
> context is there.

Ah, i understand.  Not pretty, but i assume that one cannot do much about it...

> Without \addlyrics, you'll get the expected result.

indeed.

> Possibly even when
> writing \new SopranoVoice (but I'm not sure \addlyrics will accept an
> alias).

it doesn't.

>> Any ideas?
>
> Use \lyricsto.  \addlyrics sucks for anything but Voice contexts.

I will, but that's a pity.  I hoped this template to be as simple as
possible (that's why i'm creating these predefined contexts) - having
to use explicit lyrics contexts makes everything more complicated than
i would like it to be :/

Anyway, thanks for explanation.
Janek