point and click (was: Project Completed(-ish))

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: point and click (was: Project Completed(-ish))
Date: Sat, 7 Sep 2013 13:49:43 +0200

2013/9/7 David Kastrup <address@hidden>:
> Janek Warchoł <address@hidden> writes:
>> I think that we should turn point and click off by default.  It only
>> makes sense with smart editors like Frescobaldi, which should be able
>> to turn this on when they need it.
>
> I very much disagree.  lilypond-invoke-editor alone supports emacs,
> gvim, uedit32, nedit, gedit, jedit, syn and lilypad which can be started
> from pretty much any PDF viewer and from HTML browsers.
>
> The mechanism does not require a "smart editor" at all.  It is enough to
> have any old editor that has command line options for positioning inside
> of a file.
>
> A working point-and-click is quite important for someone beginning to
> work with LilyPond (part of the reason for working with LilyPad in the
> first place), and it is particularly those who'll not easily know how or
> _why_ to turn on a particular feature that is desirable for a specific
> workflow.

Ok, that'd be helpful indeed, but (correct me if i'm wrong) all the
links in the pdf are absolute paths pointing to the original source
file.  Which means that:
- if i move my source file, the link doesn't work
- if i don't have the source file, the link doesn't do anything useful

So when someone sends me a pdf without the source, all links are
useless.  Even if he sends me the source as well, i would have to
place it in the exact same location as his for the links to work, and
this doesn't make sense.  I have to recompile the file to get links
pointing to my source file.

So, as i see it, the links are useful only for the person who produced
the pdf. Since i believe that the best way to compile and work with
LilyPond source files is by using a smart editor with pdf preview and
point and click support, such an editor can enable point and click by
itself.

My point is:
- if you don't compile the file yourself, the links are useless anyway
- if you compile the file, you should use Frescobaldi or similar
editor, which can turn point and click on as needed.

best,
Janel