Re: point and click

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: point and click
Date: Sat, 7 Sep 2013 14:31:42 +0200

2013/9/7 David Kastrup <address@hidden>:
> Janek Warchoł <address@hidden> writes:
>> So, as i see it, the links are useful only for the person who produced
>> the pdf.
>
> Sure.  They point is that they _are_ useful.
>
>> My point is:
>> - if you don't compile the file yourself, the links are useless anyway
>> - if you compile the file, you should use Frescobaldi or similar
>> editor, which can turn point and click on as needed.
>
> The links do no harm.

In my opinion they are very annoying if you click on them
accidentally, especially when it's in a file i got from someone else.

> If at any point of time file size is a problem
> for any given person, he can reduce it himself.
>
> You propose making life tough for a majority of people just to save file
> space for a preferred use modus of yourself.

That's just your interpretation.

> And the actually silly aspect of this is that
>
> a) you want everybody to use Frescobaldi for writing LilyPond files
> b) you want Frescobaldi to turn on point-and-click by default
>
> so actually the situation will be exactly the same as previously: every
> file produced in the manner you think should be the only supported way
> of working will contain point-and-click information.

Well, there's a concept of "preview mode" and "publish mode" in
Frescobaldi (the second one produces pdfs without point-and-click).
The idea is that when you finish your work, you use "publish mode" to
create final pdf.  You may say that point-and-click alone is not worth
having two modes, but there are more things that could be used there
(for example, preview mode could display slur control points).

Anyway, i think this discussion is going nowhere, so i'm dropping the issue.

Janek