Re: LilyPond and ConTeXt

From: Marc Hohl
Subject: Re: LilyPond and ConTeXt
Date: Sun, 08 Sep 2013 13:06:31 +0200

Am 08.09.2013 11:20, schrieb Henning Hraban Ramm:
Am 2013-09-06 um 23:50 schrieb Marc Hohl <address@hidden>:

Am 06.09.2013 19:12, schrieb David Rogers:
Hello

There have been several methods in the history of LilyPond for
integrating LilyPond scores with ConTeXt documents (ConTeXt is a newer
more-flexible system somewhat analogous to LaTeX).

Right now, which is the best choice for putting ConTeXt and LilyPond
together? (Your answer might be "Don't bother, just use LaTeX", if you
have a good reason for saying that.)

Hehe – just use LaTeX ;-)

I would not. Let’s not start a flame war here.

I did not intend to start a flame war, I was just quoting David's
remark ;-)

I stumbled across this problem some time ago and found
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/LilyPond

which might work or not, but since this project would have been the first try
to get a grip with ConTeXt and I didn't manage to get even
the stuff mentioned in this link up and running,

Can you tell me, what your problems were? I’d like to enhance the documentation.

Well, I don't remember exactly where my problems were – it is just that
I work for 20 years with LaTeX, so I am quite familiar with it, whereas
playing half an hour with ConTeXt did not show up any included scores,
so I deinstalled it.

Nevertheless, I'd like to give ConTeXt a try in the future ...

I decided to use
XeLaTeX and lilypond-book for the simple reason that I find it easier to
find help on the web concerning LaTeX-specific problems ;-)

Of course the LaTeX community is bigger. If LaTeX fits your needs, use it.

It worked quite well for my project, but not out-of-the-box, as you may
guess ;-)

ConTeXt needs a bit more own handicraft, but then you have all the adjustings
screws at your fingertips.
I prefer the "accessibility" of ConTeXt’s setup commands over writing/adapting
LaTeX style files that
> never *completely* fit your needs. And I don’t want to know about conflicting packages...

ConTeXt seems to be monolithic and this makes it very interesting for
me.

My personal problem (or call it style of approach) is that I learned
LaTeX by buying Helmut Kopkas books and worked right through them from
cover to cover.
I miss a book that does the same for ConTeXt.

And yes, I know that there is *a lot* of information/manuals/stuff
about ConTeXt available, but printing 400+ pages of the manual and
placing it on my desktop is not the same as a good book that takes
you by the hand and explains everything from simple to complicated.

I may be outdated, but this is my preferred way of getting a grip on
ConTeXt ;-)

But I think this became quite off-topic now.

Regards,

Marc