Worse error message in 2.17

From: Noeck
Subject: Worse error message in 2.17
Date: Sun, 08 Sep 2013 23:01:49 +0200

Hi,

if I forget to set the language correctly as in this example:

\version "2.16.0"
%\language "deutsch"
{ b a c' h }

the error message in 2.16.0 was:

error: syntax error, unexpected STRING
{ b a c'
         h }

That told me: The "h" is wrong and I remembered to set the language.

In 2.17.19, lilypond tells me:

error: have to be in Lyric mode for lyrics
{ b a c'
         h }

I would consider this misleading, because a single string that does not
fit in the music input syntax is not yet a clear sign that the user
wants to write lyrics. I was searching for errors in the lyrics for a
while and then I realized the line break before the "h" in the error
message.

Could I file a bug/wish for that or do you consider it as normal?

My suggestion for the error message:
a) if the string fits with any language setting, ask the user if he
wants another input language.

if a) is difficult:
b) don't talk about lyrics here, at least not in the first place. More like:
"h" is not understandable in a music expression. Is that a typo, did you
forget to set the language correcly or did you want to write lyrics
here? (in better English)

Cheers,
Joram