Re: TextSpanner in Score context?

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: TextSpanner in Score context?
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2013 04:13:10 +0200

2013/9/9 Dominic <address@hidden>:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Is there any way that I can make a "rall........a tempo" that is firmly in
> the Score context, using MetronomeMarks and TextSpanners? I want the
> "rall........a tempo" to appear on the top of the score, not on every single
> staff. But I also want to retain the ability to use TextSpanners as normal,
> within individual staffs. Is this a possibility? Or, if not, what is the
> most elegant alternative way of doing it? I realise that the question of
> "Tempo spanners" has been raised before, but no solution was suggested, to
> my knowledge.
>
> I even tried the ludicrous idea of making a fake spanner by having something
> like this:
> /\repeat unfold 16 { \tempo "." s16 }/
> but that wasn't great because the dots didn't act as a single line (some of
> them were pushed out of the way by high notes)
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Dominic

Hi Dominic,

seems the following minimal example works, though, I've really no clue
about the drawbacks.

\version "2.17.25"

\layout {
  \context {
    \Score
    \consists "Text_spanner_engraver"
      \override TextSpanner #'after-line-breaking =
        #ly:side-position-interface::move-to-extremal-staff
  }
  \context {
    \Voice
    \remove "Text_spanner_engraver"

mI = \new Staff { c\startTextSpan d\stopTextSpan }
mII = \new Staff { c\startTextSpan d\stopTextSpan }

\new StaffGroup <<
\mI
\mII

\mI