Re: LilyPond and ConTeXt

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: LilyPond and ConTeXt
Date: Mon, 09 Sep 2013 09:41:35 +0200

Am 09.09.2013 06:40, schrieb Henning Hraban Ramm:
Am 2013-09-08 um 21:18 schrieb David Rogers <address@hidden>:

Henning Hraban Ramm <address@hidden> writes:

I’m the one behind the previous lilypond module for ConTeXt and the current
LilyPond filter suggestion.
For me, it works great (besides the usual layout problems with TeX).

I guess the matter is, what are you planning to do?
I’m typesetting songbooks.
I'd like to be able to make a teaching book for piano students - short
pieces with comments and explanations in between, with the ability to
have section or chapter headings and other types of headings as well,
and easy control over page-breaking (both within the music and between
the pieces) would be nice. Shouldn't be more difficult than a songbook,
I would think - perhaps even less, because there are fewer lines of
lyrics.
Yes, sounds not too ambitious with regard to LilyPond in ConTeXt.

You can simply copy my setup, but you should name every single example then (to
avoid recompiling if you re-arrange or insert one).
In my setup, every song is a "component" in its own file (that also allows me
to reuse songs for different compilations), and I use the component name as buffer name.
If you have more than one example per file/component, you must at least attach
a number. If that’s common in your book, it should be easy to use a TeX counter
(I’m not good in TeX programming and would ask on the mailing list how to do
that).
If it makes sense for you, you could also typeset your examples as numbered
illustrations, just adapt the line with \\externalfigure

Urs’s suggestion also sounds good, if you want to choose the "safe" LaTeX way.

Actually, I don't want to 'pull' anybody away from ConTeXt to LaTeX.
Although, each additional user of my package increases pressure to complete it ;-)

Best
Urs

Greetlings, Hraban
---