Re: Question about autocompile bash script

From: ArnoldTheresius
Subject: Re: Question about autocompile bash script
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 01:04:54 -0700 (PDT)

Carl Peterson-2 wrote
> Question for those who are familiar with linux bash shell scripting...

> The question I have is whether it is possible to set up a similar script
> "trace" a file's inclusion in other lilypond files and then compile
> whenever an upstream file is loaded. My template/framework for hymn
> settings uses discrete levels of file inclusions.
> Thanks,
> Carl

I allready made a C program for Windows, which does a limited 'follow the
\include files' to examine the file dates. Finally it starts lilypond
(command line) if one of the source files found is newer than the resulting
PDF, otherwise it prompts for the question 'compile or not?'.
This program is limited to
- only files (source and result) in the current working directory are
examined
- the \include command must be the only one in the line (white space only
allowed at the left), exactly one space to the string start '"' character
- \include commands inside a comment block ( '%{' to '%}' ) will be
examined, too.

Unfortunately, this program is specialized for my use. I did try (but not
complete) to implement some special features. There is very little
documentation in the source code.
Only if you have some experiance in C programming the source code can help -
but an experianced C programmer might be faster to build his own 'ly-newer'
command line program form scratch than by extending my program.

Feel free to ask for the C source code, if you are still interested.

ArnoldTheresius