Re: Overall (global) resizing difficulties

From: Patrick or Cynthia Karl
Subject: Re: Overall (global) resizing difficulties
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 17:11:40 -0500

> Message: 1
> Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 18:56:09 +0200
> From: Eluze <address@hidden>
> To: address@hidden
> Subject: Re: Overall (global) resizing difficulties
>
> well - I think it's described somewhere inta manual. here's a little
> function to facilitate the change of those 3 values:

What does "it" refer to here?

> staffSize = #(define-music-function (parser location new-size) (number?)
> #{
>   \set fontSize = #new-size
>   \override StaffSymbol #'staff-space = #(magstep new-size)
>   \override StaffSymbol #'thickness = #(magstep new-size)
> #})
> music = \relative c' { c d e f g a b c }
> \new Staff \with {\staffSize #-16 } \music
> \score {
>   \new Staff \with {\staffSize #16 }   \music
> }

I am afraid I don't understand the function of the staffSize function.  The
following snippet produces four identical, to my eyes, outputs:

%%%%   B e g i n     S n i p p e t   %%%%
\version "2.16.2"

music = \relative c' { c d e f g a b c }

\new Staff \music

\score {
        \new Staff \music
}

staffSize = #(define-music-function (parser location new-size) (number?)
#{
  \set fontSize = #new-size
  \override StaffSymbol #'staff-space = #(magstep new-size)
  \override StaffSymbol #'thickness = #(magstep new-size)
#})

\new Staff \with {\staffSize #-16 } \music

\score {
  \new Staff \with {\staffSize #16 }   \music
}
%%%%  E n d     S n i p p e t   %%%%

What would a "new-size" value of -16 mean?

Does anyone not agree with me that layout-set-staff-size is nonsensical and
nonworking?  And that the documentation should document exactly what it does?
and how the "staff size" can be changed without changing the distance between
staff lines?  (I feel like I'm in a Kafka novel here.)