Re: mea máxima culpa

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: mea máxima culpa
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2013 19:37:11 +0200

Carl Peterson <address@hidden> writes:

> On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 1:20 PM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Tim Roberts <address@hidden> writes:

>> > Of course it makes sense.  I just did it, and your mailer is almost
>> > certainly showing you the proper threading, isn't it?
>>
>> No, it isn't.  Wrong References: header apparently (most definitely not
>> pointing to the Message-Id: header of the article you are replying to).
>> It's not possible to go to the parent article, and it is not possible to
>> recall the entire thread from the server.  Both are possible with proper
>> replies.
>>
>> Maybe you think that the Subject header is all that is needed for proper
>> threading, but of course it would not allow for the topical sort a
>> proper thread display needs to do.
>

> Funny thing...it showed up in my email system properly threaded.

No idea what email system you are using, but the headers on your mail
are

        <address@hidden> <address@hidden>

and when following that, one gets to my reply, Tim's posting, and then
an inaccessible message since my mail system never got to see the
digest.  The In-Reply-To: header chain does just the same thing.  So I
have no idea how your email system would figure out just what mail Tim
had been replying to.  The information is just not there in the headers.

--
David Kastrup