Re: Windows registry, Python, and LilyPond

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Windows registry, Python, and LilyPond
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2013 23:34:47 +0200

Hilary Snaden <address@hidden> writes:

> Nearly two years ago I wrote to this list commenting about major
> problems (including registry residue) resulting from trying to run
> Python 2, Python 3 and Lilypond on the same Windoze box.
>
> Since switching to GNU/Linux they've all got on just fine. Switching
> to GNU/Linux is one of the best things I've ever done with a computer.

To be fair: that's not an inherent advantage of either GNU or Linux.  It
is more a consequence of how a distribution or file system standard
organises the names and places of shared libraries and how a package
system drops things into place.  Several different GNU/Linux systems do
that differently, and several BSD variants have their own ways of doing
things.  That's not remarkable but rather solid engineering.

The surprising thing is rather that Microsoft has not managed to bring
system management into a sane state for a single-vendor distribution,
leading to everybody and his dog tampering with the system in the
so-called DLL hell.

--
David Kastrup