Re: film score example

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: film score example
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2013 08:54:22 -0400

Hi Curt,

Thank you so much for doing this!
As someone who dabbled in film scoring pre-Lilypond (and, in fact, before
Sibelius was on anything but RISC OS), and wants to get back into it in
Lilypond, this is all very interesting information.

> The score was originally prepared (in Sibelius) a few years ago, under the
> tutelage of a professional hollywood film composer, Hummie Mann

If you're ever communicating with him again, tell him I love his work
(especially "Year of the Comet").

> Appended below is part of one of the README's - the "unexpected difficulties"
> I had with lilypond, as in the areas that didn't seem to work easily right
> away.  (Note that I started this re-notation project as a complete lilypond
> beginner.)  A big one here is "giant time signatures", which are common in
> film scores but don't seem to have a graceful solution in lilypond.  Please
> note that these are just the (minor) complaints, and that overall I was
> *extremely* happy with the experience and output.  I did this all in eclipse
> (elysium) on a 15"  MacBook Pro and loved the "coding" experience.

As part of my "template/stylesheet" project, perhaps I'll put together
templates and functions for some (or all) of these difficulties…

Cheers,
Kieren.