Re: Problem with hemiola notation

From: Alan McConnell
Subject: Re: Problem with hemiola notation
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2013 13:07:54 -0400

First of all, my thanks to both David K and Robert S for
their quick responses!

On Sun, Sep 15, 2013 at 05:25:33PM +0200, David Kastrup wrote:
> Alan McConnell <address@hidden> writes:
>

> > (start)--------------------------
> > \version "2.16.0"
> >
> > global =  {
> >   \key d \minor
> >   \time 3/4
> > }
> >
> > %  Here is a "hemiola"
> >
> > |ees4 d c | c4. d8 bes4. | a8 a4. g8 | g2 r4 |
> >                        ^
> >                 ------------------------(finish)
                    I wish the word "snippet" were available to
                    denote the above.  But Snippet is now a
                    well-established term in the copious Lilypond
                    documentation.  So I had to say "extract".

> > The '^' marks the dot on the dotted Bb that I wish
> > to move into the next bar.  The part compiles just
> > fine;
>
> No, it doesn't.
          <G>  Not the above excerpt, for sure.  But the
          part from which this is taken compiles fine;
          I've printed out the resulting .pdf and friends
          here in Silver Spring and in Los Angeles have
          played them.

> > Of course I could tie over the bes4 into a bes8 in
> > the next measure, but I thought it would be nice to
> > transcribe just as the Bach Gesellschaft has it.
>
> You'll be surprised at how few of the readers here have the Dover scores
> available,
        <G> No I wouldn't.  I'll bet almost all Lilypond users
        have heard of Bach, but why should readers without
        special needs or interest have Bach Dover scores?  But I
        would expect tho folks who do have such scores to easily
        recognize my problem from the "extract" that I gave, and
        reproduce above.  It is a notation that I've seen often
        elsewhere, but at the moment I can cite only the Bach
        Gesellschaft editions.

> so it might be useful to actually include a scan of what you
> are asking for: it should not require more than about three notes, so
> neither mailing list bandwidth nor copyright should be problematic here.
          I am Attaching a .jpg of a small chunk of a download that
          I got from IMSLP, that illustrates the Bach Gesellschaft
          practice.  I am fairly sure that the  Mailman SW will
          strip this Attachment, but I hope it will go through to
          Messrs K and S.   If anyone else here is interested,
          lemme know; and I'll be glad to send this small .jpg.

Again thanks, and I hope for illumination from any/all available
experts.

Alan

--
Alan McConnell :  http://globaltap.com/~alan/
   Know thyself.  If you need help, call the C.I.A.