Re: 350 "\relative"s on all parts - is it possible to simply the code?

From: Wim van Dommelen
Subject: Re: 350 "\relative"s on all parts - is it possible to simply the code?
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2013 13:00:47 +0200

On 16 Sep 2013, at 11:28 , Richard Sabey wrote:

   ......... , that using absolute mode is better, and one reason is that it makes it easier to make the Lilypond notation for later bits of a musical work, using the Lilypond notation you have already written for earlier bits. You can copy and paste without having to recheck the octave of the first pitch you paste.

To avoid the copy-and-paste problem and finding yourself in the wrong octave too much, I have the habit of starting each part (or section or page) with a reference to the absolute pitch I am at that point. That corrects the code at least at that point and more, it tells you with an error-message that the flow of relative coded music doesn't add up correctly.

Regards,
Wim.