Re: some original LP scores

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: some original LP scores
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2013 16:18:54 +0200

Hi,

a somewhat late answer...

2013/9/8 Dave Phillips <address@hidden>:
> I've revised some pieces and added some new things here :
>
>     http://linux-sound.org/dlp-music-lilypond/
>
> Comments and suggestions are most welcome, particularly regarding part
> writing and instrument-specific matters. This work was done primarily in
> response to an on-going article project, I'd like it to be presented as well
> as possible.

Sonatina Prelude
-----------------------

* i recommend upgrading to newest development version (there's almost
nothing to change in syntax, actually).  Current dev version produces
consistent spacing on both pages (in your rendering, systems on 2nd
page are much closer than on the first page), and also accents don't
touch slurs.

* the "proper" way to indicate guitar positions is using text
spanners:
http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.16/Documentation/notation/guitar#indicating-position-and-barring
(they automatically adjust their length when the spacing changes).

* in my opinion it would be clearer to define two voices and combine
them instead of creating "splits" on a per-measure basis.  But that's
a matter of personal preference.

Umeko
---------

* I find the voicing in m.61-64 a bit strange.

* accent in m.73 collides with the notes.

* placement of whole noteheads in last measure looks strange.

I believe these problems would have a smaller chance of appearing if
there were full-length voices, i.e. if you had used

melodyI = { 104 bars of music }
melodyII = { 104 bars of music }
melodyIII = { 104 bars of music }

<<
  \melodyI
  \melodyII
  \melodyIII

rather than << { } \\ { } \\ { } >> construct.

Trios
-------

* it would be good to increase the distance between systems, either by
reducing font-size or by spreading the piece onto more pages.

Can i save these scores as a material for analyzing LilyPond
performance in the future?

best,
Janek