Re: Problem with hemiola notation

From: Alan McConnell
Subject: Re: Problem with hemiola notation
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 08:55:51 -0400

On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 07:31:15AM +0200, David Kastrup wrote:
> Alan McConnell <address@hidden> writes:
>

> >      <LOL>  You are absolutely right!  However:  try this
>

> > d4. e8 d c | b4 g g4. \bar ""  a8 d,4 d | b' g g \bar "|."
>
> Bad timing.  You are too late for overriding the bar.  I have not yet
> seen the trivial ugly correction for that yet, namely
>
> d4. e8 d c | b4 g << g4. { \skip 4 \bar "" } >>  a8 d,4 d | b' g g \bar "|."
>
> which lets the \bar "" command fall at the right time.
        Why do you say "ugly"?  I think that this is a very handsome,
        and comprehensible solution, and I thank you for it.

        I thank all the contributors to this thread.  I have learned
        a lot.  I shall experiment with the various solutions given
        for detaching the dot.  Since it is a notation used, it seems,
        by one of the Masters of Music, perhaps some thought could be
        given eventually to implementing a solution in some future
        Lilypond version.

        Finally, to Thomas Morley:  I ain't no quavery witch, I am
        a Crotchety Wizard(moving rapidly from Shakespeare to L
        Frank Baum)

Best wishes to all!

Alan

--
Alan McConnell :  http://globaltap.com/~alan/
    Music is still the most important aspect