Re: Parentheses

From: Jim Long
Subject: Re: Parentheses
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 15:32:25 -0700

On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 04:32:47PM +0200, Urs Liska wrote:
> Hi,
>
> can you tell me what the \parenthesize function uses to print the
> parentheses?
> There are paren glyphs in the accidentals section, are they used for
> that purpose?
> And does this mean that I can only resize parentheses proportionally (by
> using a different font size)? Or is there a possibility 'stretch' them
> when the surrounded object is taller?
>
> Thanks for any input
> Urs

Having suffered also from parentheses that didn't match the size
of the parenthesized object (for me, parenthesized chordmode
symbols), and having seen no follow-up to this thread, I am
pleased to have found this gem in the docs today.

I'm sure it's been there all along, but thank you, documentation team!

http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.16/Documentation/snippets/expressive-marks

\relative c' {
  c2-\parenthesize ->
  \override ParenthesesItem #'padding = #0.1
  \override ParenthesesItem #'font-size = #-4  % <-- that one!
  <d \parenthesize f a>2
}

or

\chordmode {
  \override ParenthesesItem #'font-size = #1
  \parenthesize a1:m7