Re: Acciaccaturas and slashed stems

From: Gilberto Agostinho
Subject: Re: Acciaccaturas and slashed stems
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2013 13:38:58 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Peter,

Thank you very much for your answer. I am glad to hear you think this
subject is relevant. First of all, let me say that you were totally right
about my issue with the automatic slurs on \acciaccatura, which can be
avoided by using \slashedGrace.

As for the automatic beam, I do hope it could be implemented in some future
version since it is quite annoying to be doing that manually every time, and
99% of people using this command will beam the notes together anyway.

About the use of acciaccaturas and slashed notes in general, here are my
thoughts:

- indeed there is no convention on this subject, but most composers
(including old music here, not only contemporary) seem to have used slashed
notes as to be played "as fast as possible". There are also some other
aspects that are not always clear (should them be played before the beat or
on the beat? Should they always be played legato when lacking a slur?). That
is why nowadays most composers write pages and pages of instruction before a
score, telling the performer how he should understand the notation and
symbols used.

- But regardless of any standard (or the lack of any standard), this
notation is extremely common. Even when it comes to a sonata by Mozart: one
cannot engrave it properly without using slashed notes.

- Also, regardless of any opinions about how a score will be interpreted, an
engraver should not make alterations to the composer's manuscript. I am
myself a student of composition, and I firmly believe that the notation and
layout of my scores influence my music, or at least its understanding (e.g.,
the type of notation can clarify certain sonic structures that would be
hidden with the traditional notation). This discussion is more common than
most people think, where composers tend to defend the complexity of their
scores while performers would rather have it all written in common staffs
and in 4/4 meter. A common example: one could easily rewrite Xenakis'
/Psappha/, for percussion solo, into our standard
5-lined-staff/4-4-time-signatured notation, but I think that would should be
considered as a crime...

* * *

Also, if anyone know a way of proposing this to be implemented at some point
in the next versions of LilyPond, I would love to know what do I have to do.

Thanks a lot for all of you (lately I have been abusing this mailing list
with my thousands of questions).

Take care,
Gilberto