Re: [ANNOUNCE] New Portfile for Frescobaldi on Mac (Wilbert Berendsen)

From: Vaughan McAlley
Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] New Portfile for Frescobaldi on Mac (Wilbert Berendsen)
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2013 11:55:35 +1000

On 17 September 2013 19:55, Davide Liessi <address@hidden> wrote:
Dear Guy,

2013/9/17 Guy Stalnaker <address@hidden>:
> 3. run "sudo port selfupdate" to get things up to date after the clean and
> FileVault issues (this took well over SIX hours -- good gawd)

Are you really saying that "sudo port selfupdate" took six hours? Or
was it a "sudo port upgrade outdated" after the selfupdate?
The latter could be OK, if there were large ports to be compiled from
source; I would be very worried of the former.

> <quote>
> [Lots of traceback calls]
>     import popplerqt4
> RuntimeError: the sip module implements API v10.0 to v10.1 but the
> popplerqt4 module requires API v9.1
> </quote>

Usually this means that sip was updated but pyqt4 or
python-poppler-qt4 still are not.
The solution would be the one mentioned by Philippe: rebuild
py27-pyqt4 and py27-python-poppler-qt4. [1]

There actually was an update of sip port yesterday that I didn't
notice until now, but...

> "port installed" shows:
>
> <quote>
> Anorien% sudo port installed | grep sip
>   py27-sip @4.13.3_0
>   py27-sip @4.14.2_0
>   py27-sip @4.15.1_0 (active)
> Anorien [sudo port installed | grep sip] ~
> 13-09-16 10:45PM
> Anorien% sudo port installed | grep poppler
>   poppler @0.20.5_0+qt4+quartz
>   poppler @0.22.0_0+qt4+quartz
>   poppler @0.24.1_0+qt4+quartz (active)
>   poppler-data @0.4.6_0 (active)
>   py27-python-poppler-qt4 @0.16.3_1 (active)
> </quote>

... you apparently have the same versions installed as me, and not the
newer version of sip, and my installation doesn't have sip API
problems.

(Just a side note: you don't need to use "sudo" with port commands if
you are only retrieving information about ports.)

Anyway, I've just updated all ports ("sudo port sync", "sudo port
upgrade outdated") without rebuilding python-poppler-qt4, and they are
still working as expected.

Maybe the outdated port is pyqt4: can you tell me the output of "port
installed name:pyqt4"?

> I cannot deactivate the active py27-sip or poppler. I get a dependency
> errors.

MacPorts doesn't let you deactivate ports that are dependencies of
other ports: you must use the force ("-f") option if you really want
to do that.

> I installed the non-devel frescobaldi and get the exact same error on
> running from terminal.

OK. I don't think it is a problem with Frescobaldi.

2013/9/17 Guy Stalnaker <address@hidden>:
> I have a working frescobaldi. I had to  download the latest popplerqt4 from
> the poppler source. I did the bad thing and installed it over the old, but I
> have a working frescobaldi and that's the important thing.

Let me say this: yes, you did the bad thing.
If you manually installed stuff inside MacPorts' tree (/opt/local),
it's very likely that you are going to have similar problems in the
future.

Now you have a working Frescobaldi, but if you'll have problems in the
future, I'll be happy to help.

Best wishes.
Davide

[1] This is a task for Portfile writers: whenever a dependency x of
port y is updated and rebuilding port y is required, the Portfile
writer increases the "revision number" of port y, so MacPorts knows
that there was an update, even if the version number does not change.
This is usually done at the same time as the update in port x, but
since my Portfiles aren't in the main repository, I need to notice the
update of port sip and then update my ports.
Anyway, the latest update of sip didn't change the API, so this is not
what happened this time.