Re: Lyric separator

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: Lyric separator
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2013 09:39:35 -0500

Hi Benjamin,

On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 9:14 AM, Benjamin Bloomfield <address@hidden> wrote:
Yes, with multiple verses the version comparing all LyricText grobs didn't work, but the original one David had posted comparing the NoteColumns did work.

I need to get the lines to always be in the same place now horizontally, in case there are two in the same NoteColumn.  If anyone wants to tackle that, such that the horizontal line it adds below the syllable will be relative to the horizontal position of the note, rather than of the syllable, I would be grateful, but I suspect I will be able to get it eventually myself, I simply constantly refer to the documentation.

The horizontal position of the note is available using the procedure ly:grob-relative-coordinate which I used above.  (You'd get at the NoteHead by invoking ly:grob-parent, and the NoteColumn by a further application. This was my method in the posting which worked for you, though I only used the coordinates for comparison.)

It may also be that the fellow I am working with wants the first syllables all to line up on the left, with only the longest centered beneath the note, as in the forum thread that Kieren had referenced earlier.  If this is the case, the markup code works as is, and it is the X-offsets of the syllables themselves that will need to change, so I will have to find that out before I start playing more around with this code.

Well, I didn't find a solution for this that would determine automatically syllables that start a line.  I had to resort to manually tagging the syllables in question.  Using the engraver linked to would take care of the syllable alignment, and use of one of the functions floating about this thread would handle the underlining.  (Once the syllables were aligned, naturally so too would the lines.)

By the way, the last version of the engraver (which determined the longest syllable to align to) is found here:
 http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2013-05/msg00706.html

--David