Re: Break within measure in polyphony

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: Break within measure in polyphony
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2013 08:10:33 +0000 (GMT)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Nick Payne" <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden
Sent: Sunday, September 22, 2013 7:50:55 AM
Subject: Break within measure in polyphony

I'm attempting to reproduce the engraving of a baroque prelude which is without
barlines (although it appears to be in 12/8, as the bass voice has some dotted
whole notes), and at one point the original engraving has put a line break two
thirds of the way through a dotted half note in the bass voice. The solution
given in the NR for forcing a line break in the middle of a measure (
http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.17/Documentation/notation/line-breaking )
doesn't work here - Lilypond puts a warning in the log "forced break was
overridden by some other event, should you be using bar checks?", and ignores
the forced break. Is there any way to force a break at this point? This example
demonstrates what happens (I'm using 2.17.26):

{
<< {
\repeat unfold 10 { c''4 }
\bar "" \break
\repeat unfold 10 { c''4 }
}
\\
{ \repeat unfold 5 { c1 }
} >>
}

Nick,

I'm sure someone will weigh-in with a cleverer solution but this comes to mind;
That line breaking thing will not break in the middle of a note as you've
discovered.  How about scaling that dotted half note by 2/3 and then following
it with a skip after the break?  I don't know what pitch it is but something
like:

c2.*2/3 \break s4

...might do the trick.

-David