Re: strange font change in Score.repeatCommands

From: Simon Bailey
Subject: Re: strange font change in Score.repeatCommands
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2013 15:10:18 +0200

On 23 Sep 2013, at 14:46, David Kastrup wrote:

> Wim van Dommelen <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I'm trying to engrave a simple volta repeat with specific text on the
>> alternatives. In itself this works fine, I just copied the commands
>> from the notation manual. But in doing so I see strange font-change
>> for some (but not all !) of the characters in the text.
>
> There is no font change, I think: rather the text seems to use the
> dynamics font for some reason, and that font has a limited subset of
> letters just sufficient to typeset rsfz, mp and a few others.  So you
> get to see those letters in your texts, and the rest is take from some
> fallback generic font.
>
> As a workaround, you can try replacing your strings with markups that
> also select a suitable font.
>
> Of course that is not meant to imply that this behavior is in any way
> desirable.

this has been the behaviour since i've been working with lilypond (that's since
2001) -- it uses the feta-font for the volta, these are the "pretty" numbers
also used for figured bass, etc.

i haven't done it for a long time, but i think there used to be a way to change
the font used in the voltaBracket equivalent to:

<<<
\override Score.VoltaBracket.font-family = #'roman

this doesn't do anything in this snippet however.

to use markup, the steps are fairly weird:

1: define the markup: [this isn't weird]
<<<
repeatadlib = \markup {\normal-text \bold "repeat ad lib."}

2. use the markup at the correct place: [this is weird]
<<<
\set Score.repeatCommands = #(list(list 'volta repeatadlib))

why two nested lists? removing the outer list makes the volta bracket
disappear.
writing #'(volta repeatadlib) -- which in my warped way of thinking is probably
equivalent to #'(volta "2.") -- also doesn't work. why not?

no criticism, just questions. :)

regards,
sb
--