Re: How to connect Midi keyboard to Lilypond?

From: Johan Vromans
Subject: Re: How to connect Midi keyboard to Lilypond?
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 08:30:07 +0200

Regardless whether using a MIDI keyboard for LilyPond really helps:

> `rumor` reports: "ALSA port connection error; do it manually using
> `aconnect'".
>
> `aconnect -i` says:
>
> $ aconnect -i
> client 0: 'System' [type=kernel]
>     0 'Timer           '
>     1 'Announce        '
> client 14: 'Midi Through' [type=kernel]
>     0 'Midi Through Port-0'
> client 128: 'VMPK Output' [type=user]
>     0 'VMPK Output     '

128 is the port of your MIDI keyboard.

> ... and `aconnect -o` says:
>
> $ aconnect -o
> client 14: 'Midi Through' [type=kernel]
>     0 'Midi Through Port-0'
> client 129: 'VMPK Input' [type=user]
>     0 'VMPK Input      '

Here, the input port of rumor should be shown. Was rumor running?

This is what I do on my system (I have a Q25 MIDI keyboard):

  % rumor
  ALSA port connection error; do it manually using `aconnect'

In another window (so rumor keeps running!):

  % aconnect -i
  client 20: 'Q25' [type=kernel]
      0 'Q25 MIDI 1      '
  client 128: 'Rumor Client' [type=user]
      1 'Rumor OUT       '

The port for the Q25 keyboard is 20.

  % aconnect -o
  client 20: 'Q25' [type=kernel]
      0 'Q25 MIDI 1      '
  client 128: 'Rumor Client' [type=user]
      0 'Rumor IN        '

The port for rumor is 128. Let's connect them:

  % aconnect 20 128

(In my setup, rumor crashes at this point. No worry, just restart it and
re-issue the appropriate aconnect).

Pressing keys on the MIDI keyboard will now result in LilyPond notes
being shown in the rumor output.

Depending on your needs and skills, "rumor --flat" may be a good
suggestion.

MIDI devices are inherently input/output devices, that's why you see
an input port for the keyboard, and an output port for rumor.

Hope this helps.

-- Johan