Re: Violin tab for fiddle tunes

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Violin tab for fiddle tunes
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 16:19:34 +0200

"R.D. Latimer" <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm searching for decent examples of violin tab, I don't see many out there
> on the web.
> Here's one
> http://www.jaybuckey.com/pdf/Free%20Tablature/amazing_grace_fiddle_tablature.pdf
>
> It'd be great if Lilypond has this feature,
> Thanks again

The problem here is that this is indeed not really as much a tablature
as a fingering chart.  The information is incomplete.

Now the information is less incomplete for a fiddler than a classical
violinist since classical violinists tend to change positions quite more
often in order not to break a phrase across strings.  Fiddling tends to
put quite less emphasis on legato play, and the characteristically short
notes don't expose gratuitous string changes as much.

So the question is just what sort of incomplete information a fiddler
would be comfortable with if a chart is basically only reflecting the
fingering.

It's easy to teach LilyPond to print such a tab if you write the
fingering and string information for each note explicitly, but you'd
probably die from exasperation if you had to do so.

So the question is just how one can most economically provide LilyPond
with the information it needs for completing a tab.

--
David Kastrup