Re: Violin tab for fiddle tunes

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Violin tab for fiddle tunes
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 17:11:05 +0200

"R.D. Latimer" <address@hidden> writes:

> HI David,
>  Yes I agree with all you're saying.  My motivation right now is I'm
> teaching some Fiddle classes to beginner types of students.  I can read
> music fine.  In this folk tradition many/most of the players play by ear,
> not by reading sheet music.
> I was thinking that a violin tab in 1st position would be good for
> beginners learning by ear.
>
> I can always print sheet music with the fingering above all the notes.  A
> tab notation for fiddle tunes looks nice and simple.
> But maybe it's not worth the effort?  Anyway, Lilypond may want to point
> that out in any sections you have on Lilypond tab.  Even though there's a
> violin option, the way it's being done is not of much use to players...I
> don't think,

Well, LilyPond _does_ offer you to customize fret labels, so you can
label the frets 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 easily enough 0, 1, 1, 2, 2, 3,
3... and get a good approximation of what you want as long as we are
talking about simple music.  Or even 0, 1b, 1, 2b, 2, 3, 3#, 4 or so if
you want to be consistent and complete.

> Thanks again, I guess the fiddle tab is a decent idea, but not there,

Well, I think I've seen tabs, but I don't remember the gritty details.
And it's hard to teach something to a computer without knowing them.

--
David Kastrup