Re: How to connect Midi keyboard to Lilypond?

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: How to connect Midi keyboard to Lilypond?
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 18:03:27 +0100

On Thu, 2013-09-26 at 15:41 +0200, Johan Vromans wrote:
> James Harkins <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > I have to agree with David here.
> >
> > When I first started looking at LilyPond, one of my first questions was
> > about MIDI input. But then I realized:
>
> ... this is all based on using a MIDI keyboard as the only means of
> input.
>
> Personally I'd like to use it to set up a rhythmic pattern and fill in
> the notes (pitches) later with the text editor. Actually I could do this
> with a timing program that uses keystrokes from the standard keyboard...
> does such a tool exist?

Not as far as I know: I think it could be done using a neural net and
training it to recognize the style of music output that you intend when
you play. (The naive "output a note of the duration I play" simply does
not work). But there would still be a lot of ambiguity except for very
simple music, and correcting errors is enormously more expensive than
inputting the correct thing first off.

Richard