Re: How to connect Midi keyboard to Lilypond?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: How to connect Midi keyboard to Lilypond?
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 19:16:05 +0200

Richard Shann <address@hidden> writes:

> On Thu, 2013-09-26 at 11:52 +0200, David Kastrup wrote:
>
>> Anway, my point is: the currently available tools are not good enough
>> right now to save time.
>
> This very much depends on the sort of music you are working with. Try
> typing in the LilyPond syntax for the Vivaldi sonata movement
> (https://vimeo.com/62188678) that was generated in 10 mins using
> Denemo working straight from an original print and you will be
> convinced (I hope).

I haven't tried Denemo, certainly not in the last few years.  I probably
need to do so.  It's probably impolite to use it just as a glorified
Midi input tool, but if it does that job better than, say, Rosegarden...

Now here's the deal: my main Midi device is a rather simplistic midified
accordion.  Accordions have chord buttons and bass buttons.  The chord
buttons deliver three-note chords, the bass buttons single-note bass
notes.  The actual chords are composed from 12 different notes (only a
single octave) of which three are selected by a mechanical lever system.
If you tell the Midi electronics to be "chord-accurate", it will only
report a chord note when at least three levers have been detected.  So
unless you use more than one chord button at a time (actually perfectly
feasible, for example for getting Cmaj7 you'd use Cmaj+Amin), the chords
will be delivered and released perfectly simultaneously.

So if I'm doing the full deal, I'll be getting material on three
channels (bass, chords, melody) where the chords at least are nicely
synchronized.

Is that something that Denemo is supposed to be able to deal with well?

--
David Kastrup