Re: Re[surrecting]: Version Control and Public Repository

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Re[surrecting]: Version Control and Public Repository
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2013 11:50:34 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "Alexander Kobel" <address@hidden>
To: "Urs Liska" <address@hidden>
Cc: <address@hidden>
Sent: Friday, September 27, 2013 10:11 AM

Dear all,

long time ago there was this thread about version controlling Lily scores, and much more recently Urs' excellent essay and tutorial on the LilyPond blog [1].

Now, that surely is a great read, but I'm left with one question. Over time, I've collected a few scores, made with different LilyPond versions, which I want to put into a VCS repo now and clean up a bit. At some (early) point though, I started to use include files for common tweaks and shortcuts. So I used, say, my-tweaks-0.1.ly for scoreA, and an extended version my-tweaks-0.2.ly later for scoreB. Now I recognize that it feels wrong to maintain my-tweaks-* in different files, because it really is a development from 0.1; also, it means copy-pasting to a new file whenever a nice add-on should be available for new scores. "Where's my most recent house style?"

If you have scoreA.ly and this includes my-tweak.ily and you create a commit in the git repo for this music, no matter how often you then alter my-tweak, you could always return to the commit for this music, and my-tweak will always be at the appropriate version. That how version control works.

--
Phil Holmes