Re: Acciaccaturas and slashed stems

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Acciaccaturas and slashed stems
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2013 13:43:24 +0200

Gilberto Agostinho <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello Peter,
>
> I am sorry for my late reply, I have been away for the past days.
>
> About Frescobaldi, though I am very thankful for you to have implemented the
> automatic beams for the grace notes, I have to say I am not very fond of the
> idea of installing still two other files before (maybe) being able to
> install the newest development version of Frescobaldi.
>
> Do you think this option will be on the next stable release of Frescobaldi,
> as an .EXE file? If so, I think I will wait for it.
>
> In my opinion, the grace note issue was simply about making LilyPond as
> convenient and as close to what I believe is the musical convention as
> possible, but in the end I really don't want to go through all sorts of
> troubles just to be able to maybe skip a [ and a ] for each grace note
> group. My original comment here was more a recommendation to improve
> something on LilyPond, and not exactly a big problem of mine.

I've committed a patch implementing grace autobeaming to
<URL:http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=3566>

This patch does not contain a regression test, and I debugged an
eternity to figure out why a single rest would not be enough to stop a
beam group from being formed.  I finally got smart and compared to the
normal autobeamer results, and, well, it's not sufficient to break off
beaming there either, so the behavior is consistent.

Now this issue is missing a regression test.  This thread contained
several scans and examples (also of not-beamed-through grace figures),
and you'll probably have your own ones.  Could you put together a few
measures exhibiting several of those cases for use in a regression test?

If you don't have the means of applying a patch and recompiling, just
write the stuff up in the way that you imagine it should look with a
working grace autobeamer.

That's the kind of diligence work I'm not particularly good at, so it
would be nice if you pitched in here.

Thanks

--
David Kastrup