Re: staff-specific markup?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: staff-specific markup?
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2013 08:42:33 +0200

Graham King <address@hidden> writes:

> Brilliant.  Thank you.  "<>" gives me something to which to attach a
> \markup in the absence of any nearby note.  I would never have guessed
> that.

Well, we spell it out in

<URL:http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.17/Documentation/notation/single-voice#chorded-notes>

(scroll down to "A chord acts merely as a container ")

but obviously that's not where you'd look for it when encountering this
problem.  At least the section is not named "Beware of the Leopard".

> Am I correct in thinking that there is no way to attach markup to,
> say, a clef or a time signature?

I think so.  A clef or time signature is usually implicitly typeset when
certain Staff context properties change, so there really is no actual
element that LilyPond can safely attach to.  It might be interesting to
design a general mechanism to make information travel in such
situations: something like that is already partially done for
multimeasure rests.

In the mean time, using <>^ or similar might come in handy here.

--
David Kastrup