Re: Horizontal note spacing

From: Franciszek Boehlke
Subject: Re: Horizontal note spacing
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2013 18:10:06 +0200

I tried my simple approach to disabling collision detection, but I didn't get desired (or deserved, as I smartly wrote in previous mail :P) effect - spaces between notes with accidentals were still slightly wider than other, and some other spacing rules got very wrong. Well, I expected it to work a bit better.

Cheers,
Franek

2013/10/1 Franciszek Boehlke <address@hidden>
I'm not completely sure of that, but disabling springs should be quite easy to do (in C++ code), and effect might be what is deserved, i.e. no smart spacing. However, it can result in lots of collisions in some cases. Maybe I'll try it today or tomorrow, I'd like to remind myself spring code a bit.

2013/10/1 David Kastrup <address@hidden>
LaurenH <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm looking for a music writing program that will allow me to precisely
> control horizontal spacing for use in a psychology sight-reading
> study.

You are probably best off writing your own program then.  LilyPond does
so many tweaks and finetunes and optical spacing and what else that it
will take a lot of work to wrest control of horizontal spacing in its
entirety from it.

Now you can, like, use LilyPond's markup constructs in order to puzzle
things together starting at music glyphs.  Whether that is a more
convenient path for you than just using any old program (or possibly Urs
Liska's project of making LilyPond glyphs accessible to LaTeX) is a
different question.

It might also be worth looking at MusiXTeX, actually: one of its main
nuisances is that you are yourself responsible for every tiny bit of
spacing and collision avoidance and whatever.  For your task, that might
be rather an advantage.

--
David Kastrup